[M3devel] helo everyone - videotutorials for modula3

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Wed Jun 15 23:59:23 CEST 2011

I don't like the idea of having multiple packages.
   And I don't see that it helps -- I don't know why installing the current .deb files doesn't work, fairly independent of what is installed (assuming there is at least gcc/ld/libc).

I want there to be close to one download per-target, and I want the web pages to sniff from the agent string which download to steer the user to, like the Firefox download pages do, with a link to a list of everything so user can chose, e.g. if they are downloading to run on other than the current system.
(one .deb or .msi or .dmg, etc., one .tar.gz/bz2/xz/lzma)

I find the current proliferation of packages, that we already have, confusing.
I'm ok with their being a separate set for "minimal to bootstrap from source".

I understand that things are in fact modular. That there is in fact a dependency tree. And it isn't very complicated. The system isn't monolithic.
But I don't think presenting users with many choices is friendly.

I understand that the world -- really, the larger world, beyond computers -- is modular. As is the computer world.
Parts come and go (people, buildings, roads, cars, etc.).
But considering things as being composed of too many too small pieces (atoms, molecules) gets confusing.

Maybe my tendency is toward too few too large pieces.

 - Jay