[M3devel] Is CM3 Modula-3 dynamic binding done at RT being formalized?

Daniel Alejandro Benavides D. dabenavidesd at yahoo.es
Fri Sep 16 05:46:37 CEST 2011

Hi all:
I have read the addition to the Modula-3 CM· system was done by effect of CM-JVM dynamic linking and loading, has this facility being formalized (i.e is part of the current language definition, why it hasn't someone has asked that before but no clues been actually).
Somehow one of the open problems on Larch project at DEC was the creation of sub-sorting facility (<:) simplifying the Modula-3 type system, I would some kind of different symbol for that operator (perhaps [:  or say '(:' ) but Horning proposes to deal with it syntactically with it so more research would be needed (I don't know why he can say that, I guess is because is supposed to simplify the type system, which could be good of course, but I don't know whether '(:' could mess the syntax of the LM3 language ):
http://nms.lcs.mit.edu/larch/pub/wadt11-slides.ps

By the way we should recover the LM3 semantics manual because that way we can show the model intended to be in the ESC way and railroad diagrams, etc, kind of more formal, I believe they did quite an amount of work on the Larch project but as ESC began got somehow abandoned after that, but still quite advanced work for the time.

More interestingly there are some efforts to revive this old dilemma of Computation and deduction chicken and egg problem, that specification languages are Turing-computable or not, etc. I believe they are in DEC cases they are because of they experience with DECspec, etc and others as well are the SPEC language by Lampson, which has a lot attention right now out there (i guess there is some prototype tools for handling it but nothing of verification that I know).

Also this way we can offer some more knowledge to the readers interested in DEC's initiatives and its roots and effects in the time being passed, after they became important (like ten years or more later just as they planed things being in current use, but as unfinished they due unsatisfiability discarded before its time). Anyway CM3 source still has still lm3 interface code files I believe one could ask why are there those files if they weren't used, which I can think they were but because of state of the art tools they were not released to the big public now but are there still:
http://modula3.elegosoft.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/cm3/m3-libs/m3core/src/thread/Common/larch/#dirlist
http://modula3.elegosoft.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/cm3/m3-libs/m3core/src/thread/Common/set.lsl

Thanks in advance