[M3devel] Subject: Re: Fw: Modula-3 questions

microcode at zoho.com microcode at zoho.com
Fri Apr 20 17:12:43 CEST 2012

On Fri Apr 20 14:47:49 2012 rodney_bates at lcwb.coop wrote

> On 04/20/2012 04:12 AM, microcode at zoho.com wrote:
>> I haven't found that book or any Modula-3 books online.
>>
>> I agree that things are often best left alone and often ruined by
>> constant change and people who want to make things into other things
>> they were never intended to be. I said something similar a few debates
>> ago. I don't care what's popular as long as it still exists :-)
                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> "As long as it still exists" is the critical connection to popularity
> here.  It takes a certain minimum of interested people to keep it in
> existence.  Despite being dramatically simpler than the alternatives,
> Modula-3 is still big enough that it needs several people to support it.
> We are really a bit low on this front.

I don't know what's involved but I don't think I can be much help with
coding, unfortunately. I have offered to help out with systems support in
the past and the offer still stands. I can host a couple of development
systems for Solaris 10 SPARC and Intel on an as-requested basis if
developers need them to keep CM3 going. I believe those platforms are
already supported so I don't think I'm helping much here either but just in
case.

> I can't seem to do the Modula-3 support I would like to do *and* use the
> language for my own projects too.  And I'm retired.  Frustrating.

Sounds like good problems to have. I will try to install CM3 on Solaris in
the next few weeks. I had it on Linux but my install didn't seem like it
was working since most of the examples got errors trying to build. I'm also
busy with work and home stuff blah blah blah. I have a lot of things going
on and I don't get to most of what I would like to either. I feel your
pain ;-)