[M3devel] Think we need a new release. C target

Rodney M. Bates rodney_bates at lcwb.coop
Sun Feb 19 19:18:02 CET 2012

On 02/17/2012 05:29 AM, Dragiša Durić wrote:
> To port to JVM or Javascript, you have to throw through the window a lot of what Modula-3 is. You will get, in best case, part of Modula-3.

Once, I was peripherally involved in a project that was planning to translate
Ada to JVM code.  After a bit of design work, they quickly abandoned that idea.

Java reflects the popular procrustean philosophy that object-oriented constructs
should be almost the only tool in your box.  As a result, the set of non-heap-allocated
types is highly impoverished, with no programmer-defined type constructors at all.
This is reflected in the JVM.  It doesn't have the constructs to support the richer
type system of Ada or Modula-3.  At the very least, some other bytecode design
would be needed.