[M3devel] gcc 4.6 backend w/o optimizer?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Fri Jun 8 04:19:57 CEST 2012

I need to know if I can start moving targets up to a gcc 4.6 backend, given that I've removed the vast majority of the optimizer from it.I will test some of the targets, maybe not all of them.  So far I386_DARWIN and AMD64_DARWIN work and I built boot/cross archives for a very large list, and I can run cm3 on Solaris also (I forget which architectures, there are 4, probably SPARC32 at least).  Or if there is vehement rejection of a missing optimizer, I can abandon 4.6 and start work on 4.7 instead.I get tired of the unnecessary tedium that I invented, so with 4.7, I'll try to keep the diff small, in particular: keep the gmp/mpfr/mpc dependencies  don't compile it with C++ (except parse.c)   There is no longer a "core" distribution of gcc, but I'll still cut out vast swaths like all but the C and LTO frontends (Java, C++, Objective C, Objective C++, Fortran, Ada), all of the libraries (libjava, libada, libssp, libmudflap, libgfortran, libquadmath, libgcc, libstdc++, etc.)  I know I have one rejection of this but that might not be enough.  Tony?   - Jay