[M3devel] I need more cvs help

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Sun Feb 9 12:46:03 CET 2014

On Sat, 08 Feb 2014 20:22:14 -0600
"Rodney M. Bates" <rodney_bates at lcwb.coop> wrote:

> On 02/06/2014 10:32 AM, Olaf Wagner wrote:
> > On Thu, 06 Feb 2014 10:00:35 -0600
> > "Rodney M. Bates" <rodney_bates at lcwb.coop> wrote:
[...]
> >> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > It sounds like you did it right, yet I am sure that you somewhere made
> > a mistake. Are you sure you didn't copy any metadata (CVS/xxx) around?
>
> That's possible,
> >
> > Have you got a log of the commands you executed, or can you retry
> > the move/add/commit/remove and record the session?
>
> but I don't have enough info to reconstruct the sequence, especially after
> a hard disk just went sick.
>
> I tried saving everything I care about off to the side, removing all of
> both subdirectories from cvs, and re-adding from scratch.  I even changed
> the name of the top new subdirectory, which wasn't consistent anyway.
> This appears to have worked, finally.
>
> The directories to be removed were dens of werewolves.  cvs, it seems,
> won't remove anything that is in an inconsistent state, and even when
> it did, it seemed to take many repetitions to get it done both in the
> repository and my local copy.

So I gather that you've resolved the problem and cleaned up the
source tree. CVS is known to have problems with refacturing code,
as it does not treat directories as versioned objects.

Olaf
--
Olaf Wagner -- elego Software Solutions GmbH -- http://www.elegosoft.com
Geschäftsführer: Michael Diers, Olaf Wagner | Sitz: Berlin