[M3devel] On the way to release other packages in GPL?

Daniel Alejandro Benavides D. dabenavidesd at yahoo.es
Sun Sep 3 00:29:13 CEST 2017

Hello:DEC SRC involvement in releasing some "buggy code" (see differently from garbage collected programming work DEC SRC did proposals on C++ GC) to be studied:

Measurements of small academic programs don't cut it. (Small is anything less than 100,00 lines that runs for less than a few minutes.) Microsoft couldn't care less about a 25,000 line VLSI routing program.   Getting commercial-scale benchmarks is very hard, not least because vendors treat their applications' source code as family jewels. When I was at DEC SRC, I initiated a project to measure the performance of some large DEC programs modified to use garbage collection, and I got Ben Zorn a research grant that would allow him to use those programs for his own university research. We need more such industry-research cooperation:
ftp://ftp.cs.utexas.edu/pub/garbage/GC93/ellis.txt
In fact there was a research on ESC project to make manual memory management (memory leaks) in Modula-3 checked by ESC, but it was dismissed, because of complexity of logic (meaning it was feasible but need more hard work).
So even we get ever GPL Extended Static Checker Modula-3 code project (<100000 M3 loc) it would be invaluable (and DEC-SRC are mines of gold) to anyone using commercial applications and to us.

Thanks in advance